Comprehensive Women's Imaging Center at Wellington
At Wellington Regional's Comprehensive Women's Imaging Center, women have the benefit of excellent early detection and treatment options. The expertise, technology and range of services available to women help ensure high quality care. The mission is to provide comprehensive care to women with benign and malignant breast disease using an interdisciplinary approach, to provide high quality patient care and health promotion.
The staff works closely in consultation and collaboration with radiology, medical oncology, radiation oncology, pathology and cytology to provide a personalized comprehensive care plan to meet the patient's needs. The elegantly designed rooms offer privacy and comfort, with a feminine touch.
The Comprehensive Women's Imaging Center is fully accredited by the American College of Radiology, The Joint Commission, and certified by the FDA. All radiologists are board certified by the American College of Radiology. Services include:
- SAVI SCOUT® — a wire-free surgical guidance system designed to refine tumor localization for lumpectomy and excisional biopsy
- Intra-Operative Radiation Therapy (IORT) — just one treatment of radiation is done at the time of surgery
- Diagnostic mammography
- Screening mammography
- 3D mammography
- Breast ultrasound
- Computer-aided detection (CAD)
- Minimally invasive breast biopsy, including stereotactic-guided, ultrasound-guided and MR-guided
- Breast MRI
- Uterine artery embolization program
In addition to diagnosis and treatment, the Comprehensive Women's Imaging Center offers education and support to the patient and family.
To schedule an appointment for an imaging procedure at the Comprehensive Women's Imaging Center, please call 561-798-8513.
Early Detection Guidelines
Pay attention to these breast cancer warning signs:
- A lump or thickening in the breast or under the arm
- A change in the size or shape of the breast
- Discharge from the nipple
- A change in the color or feel of the skin of the breast or nipple area (such as dimpling, puckering or scaliness)
Just ten minutes a month could save a woman's life. When breast cancer is found and treated early before it has spread beyond the breast, the five-year survival rate is as high as 90 percent. A mammogram can detect a lump up to two years before it can be felt. If breast cancer is detected early, most cases can be treated successfully.
Women must take a total approach in detecting breast cancer, including:
- Regular breast self-examination
- Annual screening mammogram beginning at age 40. Women with higher than average risk for breast cancer should seek expert medical advice about beginning screening before age 40
- Annual clinical breast exams
- Treatment and support: knowing your options and getting the right help once breast cancer is diagnosed
The Comprehensive Women's Imaging Center offers the Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam. This exam provides better, earlier breast cancer detection compared to 2D mammography alone. Greater accuracy means better breast cancer detection and a reduced chance of additional screenings. The Genius exam is proven to:
- Provide better, earlier breast cancer detection
- Reduce unnecessary callbacks
- Find more invasive cancers than conventional mammography alone
The process of a Genius exam is the same as a conventional 2D exam. The technologist will position you, compress your breast and take images from different angles. There’s no additional compression required with the Genius exam, and it only takes a few extra seconds.
The Genius exam is more accurate for women of all ages, with both dense and non-dense breasts, and the Genius exam is the only mammogram FDA approved as superior for women with dense breasts.
The Genius exam allows doctors to examine your breast tissue layer by layer. So, instead of viewing all of the complexities of your breast tissue in a flat image, as with conventional 2D mammography, fine details are more visible and no longer hidden by the tissue above or below.
Schedule an appointment at the Comprehensive Women's Imaging Center
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please contact the Comprehensive Women's Imaging Center at Wellington at 561-798-8513.